Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Martha Challenge #41- Coconut Rum Raisin Cupcakes


So, since I had leftover coconut from the last cupcakes, I wanted to use it up, and the only other coconut recipe I hadn't tried yet was this one. These are decadent!

First, you have to soak the raisins in rum. The recipe calls for dark rum, but since I only needed a little, I bought a small bottle, and the store only had gold rum. I figured it would be ok.

This recipes makes a lot of cupcakes, I got 32, even though it says it makes 36. It's a basic vanilla recipe, with the rum-soaked raisins, the rum they soaked in, coconut, and heavy cream. Yum!
They baked up quickly, after only 15 minutes, perfectly done! I was surprised at how domed they got considering there was only 1/2 tsp of baking soda in the whole recipe.

After cooling, I made the caramel-rum glaze to put on top. See? I told you they were decadent! Not sure if this turned out right, since I had a lump of hardened sugar at the end, but I just fished it out and used the glaze anyways. Wow, this stuff is strong! The rum isn't completely cooked out, so you can taste it. Whoo hooo!

So I spooned the glaze over the cupcakes and had the perfect amount. Martha says to let them set a while before serving.


I also topped a few with coconut flakes, to enhance the coconut flavor in the cupcakes. I bet these are even better after a few hours, once the glaze has a chance to soak into the cupcakes.

And the best part is, I have enough rum left over for 2 rum and cokes. Bonus!

No comments: