Sunday, May 2, 2010

Birthday Cupcakes


So, for our friend Mike's birthday, he requested alcohol- related cupcakes. Since he likes whiskey, I made Jack and Coke cupcakes. I got the cola cupcakes recipe from the Coke website. It was different from most cupcakes, because you boil the butter and coke, and there are marshmallows in the batter. I assume the marshmallows are supposed to melt when you pour the hot liquid on top, but not all of mine did. I also added about 1 tbsp of whiskey to the batter.


The frosting was easy, just a typical vanilla buttercream, but with 2-3 tbsp of whiskey added. The smell was sooo strong!
And because it was a birthday, I had to write on the cupcakes. I used the easy way out, with writing tubes of icing.
These were a big hit at the party, although no one wanted to be first to dig in. Once the birthday boy had one, tho, it was fair game.
Might need to tweak the cake recipe in the future, but the frosting was a winner.

No comments: