Monday, July 19, 2010

Martha Challenge #42- Meringue cupcakes with berry compote


In honor of Bastille Day, I made meringue cupcakes. These were so easy and fun to make! I usually have a hard time with egg whites, but these came out perfectly and were a cinch!
It took a lot of egg whites, 6, to make one dozen cupcakes. I beat the crap out of them until they were shiny and beautiful. So pretty!
I followed Martha's instructions exactly, and piped the meringue into the prepared cupcake tins into big swoopy peaks. The meringue itself was firm and shiny and just perfect.

These baked for a long long time at a low temp, 3 hours at 225 degrees. After about an hour I rotated them and noticed they were taking on some color, so I reduce the temp to 200 degrees. After they were done, they were so pretty, firm to the touch but light as air.

If you look closely, they even seem iridescent! I left the cupcake liners on until people ate them. I served them with a strawberry-raspberry compote on the side, so everyone could dollop on as much as they like. These were a big hit! Everyone raved about them, and I was so glad, because they're a little different from what I usually make. The only thing, is you need to eat them with a fork, which is kind of beside the point of making cupcakes. But that's ok, these are fancy cupcakes and fancy cupcakes need a fork :)

No comments: